RN to MSN: Nurse Midwifery
An RN to MSN in nurse midwifery is an accelerated program that prepares students to become primary health care providers to women throughout the lifespan. Students in the nurse midwifery program learn to perform physical exams, prescribe contraceptive methods, order laboratory tests, provide prenatal care, gynecological care, labor and birth care, as well as health education and counseling to women of all ages.
RN to MSN in Nurse Midwifery Overview
- Students learn to serve on a medical team working closely and collaboratively with obstetricians and gynecologists, where they typically participate in the birthing process.
- Students prepare to provide consultation and assistance to patients that develop complications during pregnancy.
- Students complete clinical rotations that enable them to receive hands-on training from experienced midwife professionals who are leaders in the field, typically women’s healthcare.
- Coursework trains students on family planning and birth control counseling, gynecological services such as physical and breast exams, pap smears, and preventive health screening.
- Students prepare for jobs in advanced practice in hospital based midwifery services and in primary care and women’s healthcare settings.
Steps to Become a Nurse Midwife
- Earn an Associate’s Degree in Nursing or a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing.
- Receive a Registered Nurse Certification.
- Enroll and complete a RN to MSN program with a concentration in nurse midwifery.
- Obtain CNM certification and proper licensure, which varies by state.
Salary and Career Information
- Estimated Salary: $52,099 – $102,393 (determined by place of employment and area of specialty), according to Payscale.com.
- Job Setting: Hospitals, clinics, private offices, nurse-managed health centers, homes.
Nurse Midwifery MSN Degree Programs
The Online Guide to RN to MSN Programs
|Nursing (RN to MSN) Nursing Nurse Administrator Nurse Educator Informatics||Kaplan University - Kaplan University is a leader in providing online education. Their programs are accredited and highly-rated because their curriculum is industry-driven with today's technology and practices in mind. Their MSN degree programs range from Nursing (RN to MSN) to a general Masters of Science in Nursing degree as well as helping students become Nurse Administrators, Nurse Educators, or enter Nursing Informatics.|
|Nursing (RN to MSN)||American Sentinel University - American Sentinel University's accredited, online MSN degree programs can help students find a lucrative career in helping others. With industry-driven curriculum and fast-paced course, students can enter the field with the knowledge they need to fill high demand positions. This degree is intended for students who want to further their careers in nursing.|
|Nursing||Chamberlain College of Nursing - Chamberlain College of Nursing offers accredited degree programs that focus on the nursing field. Because CCN specializes in nursing education, they are able to follow modern standards and best practices closely and deliver programs that students can quickly apply to real-world situations upon graduation. This degree is for students who want to further their nursing education.|
|Nursing (RN to MSN) Nurse Educator (RN to MSN) Adult Health Nurse (RN to MSN)||South University - South University offers a wide range of MSN degree programs, backed by accredited curriculum and online availability. These programs can be completed at a pace that is comfortable to you if you are at home, at school, or even on-the-go. They include online programs for those that want to advance their career as a nurse, become nurse educators, or specialize in adult healthcare.|
|RN-MSN - Nurse Admin RN-MSN - Nurse Educator RN-MSN - Nurse Midwife RN-MSN -Women's Health||University of Cincinnati - The University of Cincinnati takes a practical approach to online education using career-oriented assignments, hands-on exercises, and community feedback as the driving force behind each program. Students will feel engaged in their education and confident in transferring what they learned online to the workforce. Cincinnati has four MSN specializations available: Nurse Administration, Nurse Educator, Nurse Midwife, and Women's Health.|
|Nursing Education Clinical Nurse Leader Patient Care Services Administration||Sacred Heart University - Sacred Heart University offers MSN degree programs that can be completed through online courses. These highly-rated programs are great options for students with busy schedules as they can be completed from any computer and at a pace comfortable to you. These programs will prepare students looking to enter nursing education positions, become clinical nurse leaders, or patient care services administrators.|
|MBA/MS: Nursing MBA/MS: Nursing Leadership||Grand Canyon University - Grand Canyon University is a highly-rated leader in online education, backed by years of excellence in helping student works towards their life goals. GCU has two accredited, online degrees for students to choose from. The first, Nursing, gives students a well-rounded education to enter the workforce as a versatile employee. The second, Nursing Leadership, is for students wanting to fill high level positions.|