RN to MSN: Case Management
An RN to MSN in case management is an accelerated program that focuses mainly on planning and managing all aspects of patient care and services for assigned cases. Case management is the combined process of assessment, planning, assistance and promotion of patients’ options and services. Case management jobs are available in hospitals, nursing facilities, outpatient and rehabilitation centers, and in home health care.
RN to MSN in Case Management Overview
- Students learn how to deliver personalized services to patients to improve their care.
- Students prepare to be professional nurse case managers responsible for the advocacy of improving clinical outcomes.
- Students are taught methods on assessing and monitoring patients, determining eligibility for treatments, making use of clinical pathways in order to determine whether the plan of care meets the patient’s needs, and arranging for additional services as needed in order to help patients.
- Coursework focuses on understanding patient referrals, planning and delivery of care, evaluation of patient results, and the evaluation of overall program effectiveness.
- Clinical field work gives students hands-on experience in research, analyzing data, and coordinating patient care with all members of the health care team while providing individual planning and making sure the care provided is appropriate and cost effective.
Steps to Become a Case Manager
- Complete an Associate’s Degree in Nursing or a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing.</
- Earn a Registered Nurse Certification.</
- Enroll and complete a RN to MSN in case management.
- Obtain certification in case management and proper licensure (requirements vary by state).
Salary and Career Information
- Estimated Salary: Salaries for case managers typically start at $72,000, according to most recent reports on Indeed.com.
- Job Setting:
Case Management MSN Degree Programs
The Online Guide to RN to MSN Programs
|RN-MSN - Nurse Admin RN-MSN - Nurse Educator RN-MSN - Nurse Midwife RN-MSN -Women's Health||University of Cincinnati - The University of Cincinnati takes a practical approach to online education using career-oriented assignments, hands-on exercises, and community feedback as the driving force behind each program. Students will feel engaged in their education and confident in transferring what they learned online to the workforce. Cincinnati has four MSN specializations available: Nurse Administration, Nurse Educator, Nurse Midwife, and Women's Health.|
|Nursing (RN to MSN) Nursing Nurse Administrator Nurse Educator Informatics||Kaplan University - Kaplan University is a leader in providing online education. Their programs are accredited and highly-rated because their curriculum is industry-driven with today's technology and practices in mind. Their MSN degree programs range from Nursing (RN to MSN) to a general Masters of Science in Nursing degree as well as helping students become Nurse Administrators, Nurse Educators, or enter Nursing Informatics.|
|Nurse Educator||Capella University - The accredited MSN degree from Capella University is available on campus and online. This allows students to choose the method that works best for them. The online course is great for students who need better flexibility and convenience for their busy schedules. The MSN degree at CU focuses on the Nurse Educator field.|
|Nursing (RN to MSN)||American Sentinel University - American Sentinel University's accredited, online MSN degree programs can help students find a lucrative career in helping others. With industry-driven curriculum and fast-paced course, students can enter the field with the knowledge they need to fill high demand positions. This degree is intended for students who want to further their careers in nursing.|
|Nursing||Chamberlain College of Nursing - Chamberlain College of Nursing offers accredited degree programs that focus on the nursing field. Because CCN specializes in nursing education, they are able to follow modern standards and best practices closely and deliver programs that students can quickly apply to real-world situations upon graduation. This degree is for students who want to further their nursing education.|
|Nursing Education Clinical Nurse Leader Patient Care Services Administration||Sacred Heart University - Sacred Heart University offers MSN degree programs that can be completed through online courses. These highly-rated programs are great options for students with busy schedules as they can be completed from any computer and at a pace comfortable to you. These programs will prepare students looking to enter nursing education positions, become clinical nurse leaders, or patient care services administrators.|